Frequently asked questions and downloads

About 6700 fires a year are reported as having an electrical source, which includes faulty or inadequate wiring. These fires, along with electric shock accidents cause around 43 fatalities and 2900 serious injuries every year. Cables, switches, sockets and other equipment can get worn over time and so it is important to get them checked and replaced by a qualified electrician. Here are our most frequently asked questions regarding electrical regulations but if yours is not answered here then get in touch via our Contact Us page.

How do I know if my electrical installation is safe?

The best way to find out if your electrical installation is safe is to have it inspected and tested by a person who has the competence to do so.

What is Part P ?

Part P is part of the Building Regulations and was introduced by the Government in 2005. This means most fixed electrical installation work carried out in homes must, by law, meet the Building Regulations. Part P applies to newly built homes and to any changes made to existing installations, including any parts that have been rewired.

What electrical work is covered by Part P?

All electrical installation work in a home, garden, conservatory or outbuilding must meet the Building Regulations.

Who is responsible for ensuring the electrical work meets with Part P requirements?

All homeowners and landlords must be able to prove that all electrical installation work meet Part P otherwise local authorities have the authority to remove or alter any work that does not meet the Building Regulations.

What must I do before any electrical installation work is carried out in my home?

You must either: tell your local authority building control office or employ an electrician who is registered with one of the Government approved Part P schemes.

Why should I employ an electrician?

You will not have to pay any building control charges, the electrician can deal with everything for you and will issue a certificate that confirms the work meets Building Regulations. You have access to a formal complaints procedure if the work doesn't meet Building Regulations.

PDF Downloads


esith  tioceb

Find us on Facebook

eca eca regular logo2 180

elecsa 150

eca tm colour 180

Articles View Hits